Thursday, June 6, 2013

Puzzle Pieces and Baggage

Love is a crazy and amazing thing, but if you're like my best friend and I, you're not quite sure if there is truly someone in this world who will be able to accept and "handle" all of you and your "baggage". We met for dinner last night and had an inspiring conversation about this. You see, my best friend is a single mother to a beautiful and amazing (almost) 7 month old boy. I won't publicly roast her "sperm donor" on here, but just know there are no nice words that come to mind when his name comes up.

Both she and I have what most would call "baggage": She with her little one and me with my verbal abuse history and family issues. Most people would consider this baggage and us as damaged goods. But I prefer to think of us in a different light. I actually believe we are the most equipped for love when it comes our way and for sticking in a long lasting, healthy relationship. We have been able to rise above the terribly crappy cards that have been dealt to us and make amazing lives for ourselves. We are strong, independent women who know who we are and aren't willing to settle for anything less than we deserve because we have been through the crud and refuse to go back. We have become strong enough to carry our own baggage with one finger on one hand and hold it above our heads.



But now the question looming is, who is able to help us unpack it?

That's where the puzzle pieces come into play. Because of the storms we have weathered in our lives, the pieces to our own puzzle have become chiseled and formed so uniquely that we both wonder if someone exists who can fit with us. For me, I finally have a great sense of who I am and who I want to continue to be moving forward. My life is founded in my faith in the Lord and not the opposite. I need someone who lives his life the same. And more than likely he will come with his own "baggage" as the storms in his own life will have molded and shaped his puzzle piece so that it is unique as well.

I sometimes wonder though, does that complementary puzzle piece exist for me? I have faith and hope that it does (and he does). People through the history of time have found each other and have had a lifetime of love. I know the Lord will allow someone to come into my life when it's the right time. Who knows? Maybe he already has. What's important to remember is that while I'm opening myself up to love again, that I stay true to myself and my needs. The love I'm opening up to is the kind of love I've never experienced or had before. This new love will be healthy and balanced and will inspire me to continue to strive to be a better person. As will I do the same for him. I've weathered a helluva storm; the sun is now shining, and I'm ready to find that person that I can continue on this journey with. That puzzle piece that will fit with mine and the person who will help me unpack and stay a (long) while.

No comments:

Post a Comment